Welcome
In fall of 2007, I will begin a full time degree program in Canon Law at the Catholic Univerisity of Leuven (KULeuven). The program is taught in English, lasts for three years and will lead to a JCL and a Masters in Canon Law. Amy has her degree in civil law and has been working with religious communities on their legal issues fir over 10 years. In my work, I often encounter canon law issues intertwined with the civil law issues I am working with. I anticipate that the expertise in canon law will assist me and my clients.
I've been thinking about going ahead for a degree in Canon Law for some time. I took a few courses at CUA when I was living in DC in 2001-2002. I'm looking forward to starting the program in the fall.
Why Leuven? There were a number of reasons. First of all, there are only five canon law programs taught in English in the world. The only one in the United States is Catholic University of America (CUA) in Washington, DC: CUA is very expensive; academically the canon law program it is not at its best; the program is less pastoral to law in its approach than some of the others and the students are almost all white males. I like the theology and approach to canon law at KULeuven. The university is heavily subsidized by the Belgian government, and the theology and canon law programs are further subsidized by the Church; this makes the tuition less than one tenth that of CUA. It is also very international in character. The other english language programs are in Ottawa, Manila, Phillipines and Bangalore, India.
I've spoken to several friends who went to KULeuven and they all spoke very highly of the school and the experience. Although my program is in English, the townspeople speak Flemish, a variant of Dutch so I'm working on learning enough Flemish to get along.
I'll probably leave at the end of August, 2007 and I plan to be back during the summers (July-August) and probably for 2 weeks at Christmas. I'll certainly miss my community here and you all. If anyone has occasion to be in Europe over the next several years, be sure to let me know and I'll see if I can connect with you. RSVP: a.hereford@yahoo.com.
About KULeuven:
Situated at the heart of Western Europe, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven has been a centre of learning for almost six centuries. Founded in 1425 by Pope Martin V, K.U.Leuven bears the honour of being the oldest extant Catholic university in the world, and the oldest university in the Low Countries and the largest Flemish university.
Often know better by it's French name: Louvaine, the university has 30,422 students (think of SLU, Washington U, UMSL and Fontbonne all rolled into one), and 3770 international students. The languages of instruction are Dutch and English. The University Library includes the Central library and 10 subsidiaries containing: 4.3 million volumes, 14,500 periodical subscriptions, and 7,492 full-text electronic magazines. The University has over 100 graduate programs. With a population of 90,000, the town of Leuven is about 30 minutes northeast of Brussels in Belgium.(www.kuleuven.be)
I've been thinking about going ahead for a degree in Canon Law for some time. I took a few courses at CUA when I was living in DC in 2001-2002. I'm looking forward to starting the program in the fall.
Why Leuven? There were a number of reasons. First of all, there are only five canon law programs taught in English in the world. The only one in the United States is Catholic University of America (CUA) in Washington, DC: CUA is very expensive; academically the canon law program it is not at its best; the program is less pastoral to law in its approach than some of the others and the students are almost all white males. I like the theology and approach to canon law at KULeuven. The university is heavily subsidized by the Belgian government, and the theology and canon law programs are further subsidized by the Church; this makes the tuition less than one tenth that of CUA. It is also very international in character. The other english language programs are in Ottawa, Manila, Phillipines and Bangalore, India.
I've spoken to several friends who went to KULeuven and they all spoke very highly of the school and the experience. Although my program is in English, the townspeople speak Flemish, a variant of Dutch so I'm working on learning enough Flemish to get along.
I'll probably leave at the end of August, 2007 and I plan to be back during the summers (July-August) and probably for 2 weeks at Christmas. I'll certainly miss my community here and you all. If anyone has occasion to be in Europe over the next several years, be sure to let me know and I'll see if I can connect with you. RSVP: a.hereford@yahoo.com.
About KULeuven:
Situated at the heart of Western Europe, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven has been a centre of learning for almost six centuries. Founded in 1425 by Pope Martin V, K.U.Leuven bears the honour of being the oldest extant Catholic university in the world, and the oldest university in the Low Countries and the largest Flemish university.
Often know better by it's French name: Louvaine, the university has 30,422 students (think of SLU, Washington U, UMSL and Fontbonne all rolled into one), and 3770 international students. The languages of instruction are Dutch and English. The University Library includes the Central library and 10 subsidiaries containing: 4.3 million volumes, 14,500 periodical subscriptions, and 7,492 full-text electronic magazines. The University has over 100 graduate programs. With a population of 90,000, the town of Leuven is about 30 minutes northeast of Brussels in Belgium.(www.kuleuven.be)
Comments
Ruth Burkart
sounds like fun. Nancy in Atlanta
Audrey Olson
It was good to see you last night. You will be missed while away, however, what you will bring to religious communities is very much needed. I'm glad you are doing this.
Rose McLarney