Classes at Last

This was the first week of classes. What a week! It is so unlike any first week of classes I've ever had. Basically the first few weeks of classes here are the time to get things organized. Organization does not really precede the semester so much. They still don't know how many people are in my program, some are still coming - perhaps there are problems with visas.... One can never be certain at this point.... Some americans are frustrated, but I find it a bit amusing. Things will settle out in the end, but no one seems to worry about it. Let me explain a little:

First Class - Law and Religion. I walked in about 10 minutes before class. The rooms are hard to find and are numbered rather haphazardly. This comes partly from the fact that the buildings were built in the 14-1500s and then came additions over the centuries, then parts were destroyed in various wars, well, you get the picture.... So I found the room which began to fill, then overflow with students. The professor came in and mumbled something about going upstairs to see if another space could be arranged. In the meantime, he said, 'perhaps you could organize some general strike about this situation.' So some time later he came back and brought us to another room, which is still not our final room, but we continued with class.

Second Class - General Norms. The same professor came in, this time there were about 6 students. Now he said that the room was too large, and besides it is too far from where he is teaching a class in the preceding time slot. So he took us back to the theology building and found a room - more like a closet and proceded with the lecture. I'm hoping that I can find the room again, unfortunately I didn't note where it was.

Third Class - Foundations of Canon Law. The very same professor came in and announced that the instructor for Foundations could not make it, so he would give us his take on foundations of canon law - among the foundations was the fact that statistically it is one of the best career choices if you want to be bishop or pope. So he surmised that we all clearly had those ambitions. Hmm... at this point, I begin wondering if there are any more people teaching at the university.

Fourth Class - Human Rights Law. This one was the most like a regular class. This time a different professor came in to teach. There were a few hundred students, mostly law students from around Europe who are doing a semester at this university. All of the classes have readers that are photocopied collections of laws, cases and articles. They won't be ready till a few weeks into the class, but not to worry, no one really gets serious about the course till a few weeks in.

Fifth Class - Marriage Law. I thought it was a bit early to start marriage law, because I figured the more foundational courses should be first, but this was given as the class to take, so I went. This class was taught in the canon law library. Now I should try to get a picture of this room to illustrate this blog - hopefully tomorrow. The room is about 10x20 and all around the walls, from floor to ceiling there are shelves of books. Some are multivolume collections of very old looking leatherbound books. Early 1800s were the earliest dates I saw. Languages intermingled: english, dutch, french, italian, german, spanish, latin. Perhaps others, but that's what I saw in a casual perusal while waiting for class to start. Other than the books that were part of a series, the books were in no particular order, and were not numbered or marked in any other way. When class started, the professor explained that she was the director of the dutch language tribunals of the Brussels diocese, and of the the Rotterdam Dioceses. And she also had to teach the marriage course in the dutch language section of the program, so our Marriage class would be moved to second semester. When some of us asked if this might not make our second semester a little heavy, and our first semester a little light, she said perhaps, although it is not allowed, she could teach the first few sessions in December, then continue after the semester break. She is also hoping to have us work with some real cases out of the tribunals.

Then we had a meeting of all the students and faculty of canon law. In the same canon law library in the afternoon. Well no, it wasn't all of the students, because of course some are not in the country, and others have other things to do, but there are other canon law students. Anyway a little more was explained. We have some weekend courses in the spring and the fall at a castle on the French border. And there is a thesis, but it is a little thesis, based on some topic related to the two weekend programs.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try a Latin course that isn't part of this year's schedule, would be perhaps something good to do. But it's not really for people who don't know latin - 'because that would be quite difficult, I think.' That was the comment from the staff here.

All the classes, regardless of the 'points' (like our credits) meet for one two hour lecture a week and have one final exam as the only evaluation. All the theology and canon law courses have an oral exam. The law classes - Human Rights in this case - is a written exam, but only because it woudl be difficult to schedule that many oral exams. But the format will be like the orals: two or three questions. I have two classes that run from 11:00am to 1:00pm, and on Wednesday I have two classes in a row from 4-6pm and 6-8pm. There is no time between classes, so it is understood that folks with two classes in a row will come late to the second class. 'But of course, there is nothing else to be done.'

It certainly makes me more aware of how insane our system must appear to international students in the US. When we expect folks to be there from the beginning of the semester, and to hand in papers all the time and to use textbooks that are probably outdated by the time they hit the bookstore shelves. Well as some have told me, the cultural perspectives are at least half the education.

Thanks for all the comments and news on e-mail and on the blog comments.

Peace,
Amy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Amy you have a book in the making! The story of 'room'finding reminded me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I am sure glad you saw Paris last week. With all of your classes there doesn't look like a lot of time for sight-seeing! Good luck on finding your way to the next class. I laughed so hard. This is a trip! We are enjoying a beautiful fall day here in STL.

Marianne
Anonymous said…
I'm really enjoying your entries. I think the experience of studying in Europe is as interesting as the classes themselves. It's all so individualized.
I'm glad you got your back in shape again before classes started.
Fall is finally coming to St. Louis. St. Louis, however, missed the rain that surrounding areas got. Our Associate community is having its yearly retreat at Carondelet this weekend. And Sectionals are the next two weekends. Mine is at White Violet the second weekend of October. Should be a nice drive over there.
Audrey Olson
Anonymous said…
This is Colby, one of Amy's 'new friends' here in Leuven (one half of the couple from St Louis). Just to confirm Amy's account for those of you reading this blog, my 'first class' was a sign on the door saying that we don't meet until October 10th. The second class involved a powerpoint, but it took some time to get going; otherwise, it was fine. I'd like to have my other classes, but I've been told that the professor doesn't like to start in September, and the other won't tell me where the classroom is, so I'm waiting for an email. Quite a system here!
Julie said…
Okay... this is hilarious!! I'm sure there is some sort of protocol but clearly they aren't interested in letting you in on their secrets. Next year, you can snicker at the newbies as they wander around bewildered, wondering why someone doesn't post a schedule. You also must bring bread crumbs to leave a trail to your classes. I think Colby's professor leaving a note about class not starting til Oct is very funny too!! He simply doesn't like to start classes in Sept... what a 'system', but I suppose it has lasted these hundreds of years... why change now.
Anonymous said…
Amy,
I sat and read this Blog and just snickered and laughed and said I thought my days were confusing sometimes.... In Belgium University education you not only jump through hoops but run races with time clocks and leave trails of crumbs to find your way to and from. Sounds a bit like a Harry Potter novel and the moving staircases. Keep writing and know you bring a bright spot to my day or week when I read the blog.
This is Hilarious!!!!
Nancy in Atlanta.
Anonymous said…
Woah baby! I think it's good that you went a bit early to get settled. I wouldn't want to be settling with all that going on. The women here are finding just how crazy our system is. Especially when they are promised so much when the come to the states. Anyway, prayers for Julie and the process, and that you find all your classrooms again.

Later,
Sarah