Of Things Belgian
This is a photo of the local waffles that are sold on the street here. The big differences between American Belgian Waffels and those here are 1) Belgians make waffles with yeast, not baking power or baking soda and 2) Belgians add honey. The waffles here in Leuven are Warme Waffles - finger food which is served warm with a carmelized sugar coating (yummy) and the Brussels Waffles which are served with some cream or fruit, more like we think of 'belgain waffles'.They are very earth friendly here. This is partly because of the high population density. But it is also a way of life.
-Recycling is a way of life. You have to purchase special bags. The ones for compost are special bags made of a corn based material that will decompose along with the compost. The ones for plastics are one euro per small bag (about 5 gallons). So if you make garbage, you pay. Paper and cardboard are picked up free. A calendar gives the dates and times of each type of recycle and garbage pickup. Also, there is a little sticker that you can put on your mailbox that says Geen Reclame.... Basically, if you put that sticker on your box, they can't deliver junk mail to you. I'm still trying to figure out where to get the sticker.
-There are lots of bikes. The traffic rules favor pedestrians first, then bikes, then cars, trucks and buses.
-Public transport is widely available and well used.
-High efficiency bulbs and appiances are popular.
-People layer up rather than putting up the thermostat. Here it is pretty chilly already.
-My water heater is on a timer to give me hot water only when I need it.
I'm settling in to my new home. Unfornunately, I managed to throw out my back folding a blanket - of all things. So I've slowed down a little. FORTUNATELY, I called my sister Julie who was able to talk me through some exercises that have helped a lot, and I'm much more mobile than I was 24 hrs ago.
Not only that, but Julie is dropping everything and will be here in Leuven to treat my back.... Oh well, I guess she had a trip planned for some time. But it is great that she will be here at that time. She is also hoping to connect me with a good therapist here. She says that the local version of PT is awesome. I can say that there are many offices I've seen around town.
We will also get out a bit and see some of the sites. Of course, I think the town right here is quite charming and there is a lot to see.
Tomorrow, I have to go to the police station - they have to come and check out my apartment and my housing contract. Apparently, they check out all the places where international students are to make sure that they are habitable. I guess the belgians have to fend for themselves.
Peace,
Amy
Comments
Your info on ecology surely is interesting. I wonder if this side of the ocean will take heed....
Those Belgian Waffles (either sort) look delicious, too.
Lastly, be sure to tell us all about your time with the police! That should make for clever comments! Take care of yourself so you can truly enjoy your sister's visit.
--Pat M
Love, j
Later,
Sarah
Tomorrow I leave for NYC for the ICCR meeting, back on Saturday evening. Looking forward to meeting the people I've been emailoing and conference calling with for two months. Will see my brother and sister in law too, tom and sandy. Take care! Been thinking about you even though haven't had time to write! Barbara
And I'm delighted that Julie will be coming. I hope your back is better by the time you read this. Enjoy your immersion in another culture!
Love,
Joan Henehan