Settling in in Leuven
Well, no photos today. But there's been a lot of progress. Last evening, my friends Elizabeth and Colby called because some new arrivals from the states had stopped by their place looking for advice, leads, etc.
So it was interesting talking with them and realizing how much I've managed to get done in less than two weeks. Thank God and thanks for all your support and prayers and messages. I have really felt that I'm still in touch with community, friends and family.
I posted a sign in the window of my ground floor apartment saying that I am interested in any second hand furniture people may have to offer. I figured since there is a fair amount of foot traffic and lots of folks moving in and out, I may have a chance. So far, that yielded me a comfortable stuffed chair from a couple on my block. And I jsut got a call from a woman who has a desk chair to offer. These have both been free, things they want to get rid of. The stuffed chair is in great condition and is wonderful! They called it a one person couch. (dutchism)
Then I have about 6 or 7 items being delivered on Friday from the second hand shop. The town of Leuven runs a recycling program for household goods and clothing. The things are collected, cleaned up and repaired as needed, then sold in this shop. I got a cord for my camera (the part from the transformer to the wall), and next time I go, I'll bring the cord from my computer and see if I can get the same.
I also went by the internet provider. The university cut a deal with one of the providers her in town UPC, and there is a special cut rate for students (200 euros for the year). That should be hooked up by tomorrow.
I've also agreed to exchange babysitting services for use of wash machine for my friends Colby and Elizabeth. Their son Rowan is about 9 months and is a great kid. So Thursday, I'll bring my laundry over and do it while watching Rowan (he will probalby be sleeping) and they will get a chance ot get out. That is especially nice since they have a friend from the states visiting.
All is going well. With furniture and internet, I'll feel much more at home. I've also gotten a little more of a routine. Till now, it seems like I've spent every waking moment finding a place, then making it liveable and doing all the formalities of registering with town hall and the university and the bank in between. Now I feel like I've gotten a lot of that in place, and once the furniture is delivered, I'll have a real bed and someplace to hang clothes. That will be excellent.
Thanks again for all the prayers and support. Maybe the next post will be from my internet in my apartment. Yeah!
Peace,
Amy
So it was interesting talking with them and realizing how much I've managed to get done in less than two weeks. Thank God and thanks for all your support and prayers and messages. I have really felt that I'm still in touch with community, friends and family.
I posted a sign in the window of my ground floor apartment saying that I am interested in any second hand furniture people may have to offer. I figured since there is a fair amount of foot traffic and lots of folks moving in and out, I may have a chance. So far, that yielded me a comfortable stuffed chair from a couple on my block. And I jsut got a call from a woman who has a desk chair to offer. These have both been free, things they want to get rid of. The stuffed chair is in great condition and is wonderful! They called it a one person couch. (dutchism)
Then I have about 6 or 7 items being delivered on Friday from the second hand shop. The town of Leuven runs a recycling program for household goods and clothing. The things are collected, cleaned up and repaired as needed, then sold in this shop. I got a cord for my camera (the part from the transformer to the wall), and next time I go, I'll bring the cord from my computer and see if I can get the same.
I also went by the internet provider. The university cut a deal with one of the providers her in town UPC, and there is a special cut rate for students (200 euros for the year). That should be hooked up by tomorrow.
I've also agreed to exchange babysitting services for use of wash machine for my friends Colby and Elizabeth. Their son Rowan is about 9 months and is a great kid. So Thursday, I'll bring my laundry over and do it while watching Rowan (he will probalby be sleeping) and they will get a chance ot get out. That is especially nice since they have a friend from the states visiting.
All is going well. With furniture and internet, I'll feel much more at home. I've also gotten a little more of a routine. Till now, it seems like I've spent every waking moment finding a place, then making it liveable and doing all the formalities of registering with town hall and the university and the bank in between. Now I feel like I've gotten a lot of that in place, and once the furniture is delivered, I'll have a real bed and someplace to hang clothes. That will be excellent.
Thanks again for all the prayers and support. Maybe the next post will be from my internet in my apartment. Yeah!
Peace,
Amy
Comments
I can see your photos from here at work, so need to figure out why they don't appear at home where I have more time to browse them!
God speed, Amy!
--Pat M
Rest well, Marianne
Love the blurbs from Belgium. the
"dutchisms" are really fun. Enjoy your stuffed chair sounds like its might be your only piece of furniture. Know you are held before the Lord daily for your safety, and learning.
Nancy in Atlanta