Two Americans in Paris

My sister Julie came to visit this past week. We had a grand time, while she also helped me with apartment set up, helped get my back straightened out and shared some university orientation sessions with me. I really enjoyed her visit - and for a week, I wasn't the newest kid on the block.

A highlight of her visit was our trip to Paris. We walked to the Leuven Train Station at dawn to catch a commuter train to Brussels, then it was an hour and a half on the high speed train to Paris. We were there before 9am. We got all day passes to the Paris Metro/RER/Bus/Tram. That helped us get around and save our feet a bit.

Our first stop was Notre Dame. It was magnificent. We both have lots of pictures. In fact I was noticing how much photographic equiment people had there. It was amazing. Earliest parts were built in the 12th century. It has certainly seen a lot of history.

We then took the train to the Eifel Tower. Again, wow! It is just like the pictures show it, but it is amazing to be up close and personal. We got a crepe and coffee from a shop there. This shot is taken on the bridge over the Seine. We crossed that bridge to another monument, then grabbed a train up to the Arc de Triomphe.

Again it was just like in the photos. But there were thousands of Parisians trying to get on with life as usual, while thousands of tourists took in the sites and took lots of pictures. Julie and I stopped along the Champs de Elysee for lunch in a sidewalk cafe - a great lunch I might add.

Our last stop was the Louvre. That was amazing as well. You would practically have to live at the museum for a year to do justice to all that is there. It was incredibly amazing. And the place was packed with people from around the globe. I would have loved to have spent time looking at paintings and sculptures. But there was so much there that all I could do was just marvel at it all.

We then headed back to the train station and caught our train for Brussels, then Leuven. The whole day was amazing and just a grand time. We had some other great days seeing the sights here in Leuven - this town is overflowing with charm. We also spent another lovely afternoon in Brussels.

Next week formal classes begin. They have finally posted our schedule. They said they always try to have classes only on Tues, Wed and Thursday. That will be nice. But I'll have to get into the academic routine here. It is different from what I'm used to. However, in my program, it will be new for most of the students, so hopefully we'll figure it out together.

I haven't met any canon law students, but there are lots of internationals here for theology programs.

Peace,
Amy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey... I was at the mothership for lingering over breakfast serving and I thought of you. I love your blog. This will be a great adventure. I will continue to check the blog.
take care. just wanted you to know I was thinking of you.
Pat Dunphy
Anonymous said…
What a week of excitiement you had with your sister, Julie! To do all that you did that weekmust have been so wonderfully enriching, and then to also have someone with you to share the memories makes it even better. My guess is that you are "itching" to start the classes that brought you there... Another new page in your life. May they be all that you hoped.
--Pat m
Anonymous said…
According to your time you have almost one full day of the fall seas on. This weeks looks like major launch tHaime for you. I will truly keep you in prayer. I love your stories of your time with Julie. What great memories for both of you. I am just amazed at what you did in one day. I take it that Julie healed your back? Have a great week as you begin your studies. Marianne
Anonymous said…
AMY,
Well you certainly packed a lot into a short visit to Paris. :)
Would love to hear more of Brussels and the lacemaking....glad to hear you back is mended and mending.
love,
Nancy in Atlanta
Anonymous said…
What great fun - you and Julie in Paris! I love your blog. Hope studies will be to your liking. Miss you. Take care.
Clare
Anonymous said…
Hi, Amy,
Your blog is great and I'm happy that your sister is/was there to help. Here's hoping that your classes go as well as your move-in. Your personality and your gift with people are a true blessing.
Have fun, learn alot and share the Word.
peace and stay well.My prayers are with you. Margaret Daues
Anonymous said…
Ah, good morning, Amy! I have loved reading about your adventures. I know you will entertain my sharing of another "Two Others in Paris," as in Kate Regan and Pat Quinn many years ago. I never tire of remembering what it was like--right down to the great supper at a sidewalk cafe!

You have not mentioned Tom. . . is he doing all right now?

Things are good here; I do miss you and the smell of your pancake cooking! Those waffles looked great. I heard on NPR the other day that some guy put Belgium up for sale--pretty clever. Also, the quiz question on the World the other day was: name the country that.......along with being the country known for wonderful chocolate. THAT is what gave me my clue! Love to you, Amy. Am off to the Golf Tournament at Forest Park--Four! (whatever that means????) love, Pat
Anonymous said…
Hi, Amy. Hope your first day of classes went well. It was nice to visit with you on Saturday.
I'm leaving tomorrow for a ten day trip to South Dakota and Colorado. I'll have internet access most of the time, so if you find time to do any Bonnefire blogging and run into problems, just let me know.
Baya
Anonymous said…
Amy,
What a gift for Julie to be there and help you settle in (and fix the back). I'm back in class here too and although one class is enough I hope your classes go well. Take time to see the sites too. I miss seeing you when I was at Carondelet. Tomorrow (Wed/Thurs)and the next we have our Staff Planning meeings at "C". Know that you are missed. Take care and enjoy all you do.
Prayers,
Marilyn
mbasler said…
So glad Julie is over visiting with you!!!! Sounds like "all is well"!!! I really enjoy reading your blog. Take care.
Mary Louise Basler