Potpourri

Chocolate Shop in Brussels
1. When I came over here, I knew that I would have the option of coming for Christmas, or coming for the Chapter in January, but probably couldn't come for both. Then they scheduled the exam period beginning January 15 - the chapter starts January 17 and so I thought that was the end of the story. I would be coming for Christmas.

But this is Belgium. Here, it is possible to change the exam schedule ... for a just cause of course.

Last week I asked at the canon law office, and Greet, the secretary there--who is wonderful, told me who to talk to in the various schools. I'm currently taking classes in the schools of Law, Theology and Canon Law. So after talking with all the appropriate people, I found out that exams aren't scheduled yet, so no one even knows yet if there will be a conflict. However, once exams are scheduled, in early December, they will be happy to work with me to get my exams scheduled around the chapter.

2. The course materials are starting to be published and available. However, the shops that sell them are opened at odd hours, and of course for each school it is a different place with different hours. However, over the next few weeks I should manage to get those. The materials are the familiar collections of photocopied articles and other documents.

3. I received a letter in my mail box today. It is in dutch, but the best I can make of it, there is a 'arts project' afoot on our street. They want each resident to post a poem and a lamp in their window for a certain two week period. Now remember, the pedestrians here walk right by your window, so could easily read a note posted there. The purpose is to inspire folks on their way to work or to classes. I'm supposed to email the author of the note to say whether or not I will participate.

4. I've been told our street has a good community spirit. I know, at least by sight lots of the folks and one lady brings me food on occasion. 'Dit is te grote voor mij - This is too much for me,' she said this morning as she handed me a half head of cauliflower. So I had some for lunch.

5. This is a swan I met on my Sunday bike ride. The same day, I heard a bagpipes wafting through the woods, and followed the sound to where a group of musicians and flagbearers were practicing, near the Arenberg Castle. Click here for movie. It may take a little time to download.


Peace,
Amy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bagpipes and cauliflower, what about chocolate?! Glad to hear that you might make it for chapter. Either way it will be good to see you. Maybe exam scheduling in Belgium works kind of like canon law--make it fit, right?! Later.
Sarah
Anonymous said…
Chocopolis! Not a small store, either! Mmmmmm! Looks dangerous to me! Glad there is the possibility (?even likelihood) that you will be around for both Christmas AND Chapter. Be sure to share with us the poem you post on your window... You ARE going to participate, aren't you?
--Pat M
Anonymous said…
It is these little daily events of life that makes life intertesting and worthwhile... Cauliflower and poems Feed the body and the spirit! Enjoy.
Nancy in Atlanta

PS. Hope you make it to Chapter!
Anonymous said…
I am enjoying reading your Blog. It sounds as if you are keeping busy and involved. My family have been keeping me in contact by phone with regard to my sister-in-law's funeral. They had a truly great celebration of her life. It was very difficult for me not to be able to go, but my body wasn't yet ready from the pace-maker insertion. My Energizer Bunny seems to be doing fine...I just need to keep up with it at this point...all in good time. Continue to enjoy the wonderful opportunity that is yours. Love & prayers Paula.
Anonymous said…
Hey, do they do Halloween! Just another excuse for chocolate! Oh I am so glad that you will be here for chapter. This is just such a different experience for all of us that it would be great to share with you. I know you are truly in the the 'study' scene but I also love to hear your fun things like bike rides and fun. Thanks for sharing.
Marianne
Julie said…
Sorry I have been remiss in reading and commenting... Tom broke my computer... ooops... I meant 'FATHER Tom'... I would like for the folks at Des Moines University to adopt the same sort of flexibility in thier academic dealings.... I actually have to write papers and take tests and stuff like that... and they have deadlines and due dates... how vulgar...
Unknown said…
I finally found your blog and have enjoyed reading it. I am looking forward to coming to visit next year.

Ray