...Supreme, full, immediate, and universal ordinary power ...

In my Foundations of Canon Law class the professor was discussing the relationship of theology and law in the Code and in the field of Canon Law. He showed how passages from the Vatican documents were lifted and pasted into the code. E.g. a passage on collegiality was taken from Lumen Gentium 22 and put into canon 330. One problem with this is that the Vatican documents weren't written in legal language, so pasting them into the code causes some consternation to the juridical types. Another problem is that the text is pasted in without the context, and the discussions that accompanied the concilliar text. For example, there was an official explanation with that passage of Lumen Gentium which basically said that when we say collegial, of course, we don't really mean collegial, we mean it in a really hierarchical way.

--Okay those of you who know of my anarchisitic bent can imagine how this was setting with me. I'm cool with collegiality, but I want it to mean collegiality. And of course the CSJ Sectionals are discussing shared and equal authority.*

So anyway, the discussion continued to show how legal texts have to be viewed in the light of the theology and values of the community for which the law is written. Then we went on to another canon. It turns out that the very next canon, after the one about Jesus founding a church and the apostles acting in communion, is the canon about the pope having 'supreme, full, immediate, and universal ordinary power'.

--What? how did that happen? How did we get from 'I came to serve' and 'let the one among you who aspires to greatness serve the rest' to 'supreme, full, immediate, and universal ordinary power'. What were they thinking? Whose church is this? Who is in charge here? Did they read the gospel? Honestly, how did this happen?

Of course I have read those passages before, but I guess I was a little crankier than usual when they came along this time. Also the examples that when along with the explanation. E.g. after 20 years of development of the new Code of Canon Law, JPII took the final text and pulled stuff out and put stuff in that didn't have the benefit of all the consultation and input that had gone before.

In the study of Canon Law, I knew that the power structures of the church would be problematic for me. They are very hierarchical and not terribly respectful of the gifts of the spirit that are poured out extravagantly in the hearts and lives of all people of every place and time. Coming face to face with the brutality of 'supreme, full, immediate, and universal ordinary power' makes me so happy that I'm in a religious community. For the most part, that has not been our image of authority. And certainly in the present age we are struggling to discover the contours of new models of leadership. Shared and equal is looking better and better. It is true that there are some difficulties with the language, and even with how it is most appropriately implemented. But at least we're discussing it! Collegially! And when we mean collegial, we mean that word in its natural meaning.

Tonight, Timothy Radcliffe OP is here on campus for a talk on speaking the truth and remaining at one with the church. I'm hoping for some insights and inspiration.

These pictures were taken at the Provincial Park near Leuven. Sunday was a lovely sunny day, and I biked out there. There is the lake and lots of walking trail and sports fields. There were lots of people enjoying the day. It was delightful!
Peace,
Amy

* I didn't get in on sectionals this round. But I was on Skype with Mary McGlone as she was on the way to her sectional. She said she would be happy to skype me in - so I'll give that a try for the spring sectionals.

Comments

I love this entry! I was laughing out loud at your added comments and thoughts. I had to read it to Krista, with whom I work, and she wants to know what all the other students in class thought? Glad to see you are getting out and enjoying the beauty.
Later.
Sarah
Anonymous said…
Oh I love your comments! How true, how true! I think maybe you have a book waiting to be written inside of you! That would be great. What a bike ride and surrounded with such beauty. Our sectional was really great. It is powerful when all enter into the conversation. Be sure you let us know about Terry Radcliff.
Study hard. Marianne
Anonymous said…
Amy,
I get lost in the legal Jargon....but I am glad you are still enjoying your experience... WE had Atlanta Sectional over the weekend with great discussion and sharing of the heart.
Nancy in Atlanta
Anonymous said…
Greetings, Amy, from a collegial person. When you say that it "makes me so happy that I'm in a religious community" be sure you mention that you are in a "Papal" religious community.... For some reason I think we miss out on some of the "...Supreme, full, immediate, and universal ordinary power..." experienced by some of those diocesan groups. Gosh, if this is ORDINARY, what do they do about EXTRAordinary????

Keep your sense of humor. Surely there are many other students with your same thoughts. I look forward to your next edition@!

Pat M
Anonymous said…
When I become pope, I'll get you a hat too, will that help? Maybe we could have a Pope of the Month Club?

There is a group of women in Medellin who have decided that the men leading (or fighting) in Colombia are never gonna get it right. So they started a governing group where the "leadership" passes to another person every 2 months. Kinda like in a diocese.

What's the varmit?

FATHER Tom