Waiting for Paint to Dry

Well, I finally got out to get something put on the wooden window frames in my apartment. This may seem a simple task. But no, this is a major project. First of all, you have to find a store that sells the substance you're looking for. So I went to several stores and looked at the pictures on the cans near the paint brushes. When I found something promising, I looked at the can and read things like: "De grondlaag voor buiten hout verzekert de hechting ..." This of course isn't terribly helpful. So I took down websites and went to the internet and checked out their english language sites, only to find out that the product was a cleaner, not some sort of finish.

After some weeks of this, I found the right store, and talked to the guy there who spoke english. Yeah! He sold me some Lazuur, a brush and wit spiriten. Thus equipped, I checked the weather forcast - partly cloudy for three days in a row. Partly cloudy generally means it won't rain which is about the best I can hope for. Then I went to work.

I cleaned the frames, figuring the first ones would be ready for painting when I finished the last. I managed to open the paint can with my multi-function pocket knife and began painting. Since I was using Lazuur, perhaps lazuuring is the correct term here, but one can never be sure.

No sooner had I started than my neighbor came over to see what was going on. I think she asked if I was supposed to maintain the wooden frames. I think I said to her that I had to take care of the wooden frames, but not the other exterior areas: alleen de hout, neit meer. That seemed to satisfy her. Later she came over and said it was mooie, that means beautiful, so I was definitely moving in the right direction. But then she said something else. When I looked puzzled, she said it louder. Unfortunately, volume wasn't the problem.....

I finished the two windows and the lower part of the door in the front, then went on to the window and door in the back. Now I'm in the front room with the windows and doors standing open, front and back. It is probably in the low 60s today. So far no one has walked in, and only my one neighbor has commented.

The canon law club canonica is getting together tonight for dinner and a movie. This is the only time the various years and the two language groups ever gather, so it should be fun. However, I'm hoping that the windows and door will be dry enough to close, at least in the front.

--Oh yes, that's my bike in the front room. It's the easiest place to keep it, as long at isn't too sloppy and rainy. There isn't always a place in the nearby bike rack, and I haven't figured out how to hang it on the hooks at our building.

Well, back to Latin,
Pax*,
Amy

*In response to a comment, I had to put Pax where I generally put peace. I stand corrected. Thanks Pat.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amy, I went into your blog for the first time today. It is great and you are so talented. Your life and times will be so enriching and broadening...not literally because you have your bike! Describing the paint situation reminded me of our time in Peru where the American sisters say that nothing is easy to do in Peru.

I will continue to keep track of you and know that I am with you in the CSJ spirit. Suzanne G.
Anonymous said…
Lovely paint job. I enjoyed your humorous views of the process, also. May your classes be in English!!!! Take care... I'm working at getting a phone connection to you from home since we aren't allowed to use it from work... Rules, rules, rules!!!
--Pat M
Anonymous said…
Oh how sharp you place looks! I am sure that it feels good to have it all freshly painted up! It is great to hear that there is a fun time built. Oh I can't imagine Latin! Take care. Prayers for Julie.

Marianne
Anonymous said…
Amy,
Lovely paint job.... I just can't believe you messing with Latin.... Keep blogging it's so much fun.
Nancy in Atlanta
Anonymous said…
If you are signing off "back to latin" shouldn't you say "Pax, Amy" not "Peace, Amy?"
Anonymous said…
I love your paint job. Anything to break up studying will do. Keep it up. Have you come across any Wellems' or Rogist's yet. They are probably my relatives!
Love,
Audrey O.