Capita Selecta
It's 4:30 and it's already getting dark. Of course it's been rainy all day, so that is part of the reason.
Last weekend we had the Capita Selecta, a 4 day Canon Law program at a small castle on the Belgian-French border. One day there was a lovely snowfall. Nothing stuck to the ground, but it was lovely coming down.
There were about 20 people there altogether - a really international group. At one point we were gathering for sunday mass and the first four of us sat in back: a european, an american, an asian and an african - we decided that it was a mark of the true church: one, holy, catholic, apostolic and sitting in the back.
We had Professor Werkmeister from Strasbourg who did about 10 hours on History of Canon Law. It was really interesting and when you get the historical perspective, our current situation seems less overwhelming. When we got to the point of reading a 1140 canon law text called Gratian's Decree - the professor was like a little kid showing off his toy. He was practically giddy translating and explaining the latin.
Okay I should also note that Werkmeister is in his 60s and was in an amateur cycle race last week. He had an accident in the race, and had one arm in a sling, two fingers on each hand were broken, his shoulder was messed up and he had a big bandage above one eye. Apparently he had surgery the day before he came for the program. Anyway he was pretty energetic for all that.
On the weekend I got some more collaborators for my Canon Law wiki. The idea is sort of like wikipedia, but on Canon Law. So that in the end, there will be a resource that folks can access with information about Canon Law. Also, theoretically anyone with internet can contribute as well. So it should be pretty helpful. Especially if I can get folks from this program who are from all over the world. You can check out this project at canonlaw.wikispot.org
Today I also booked my flight home. I'll come in on Christmas Eve and fly back at 1:30 after the Chapter ends on Jan 20. I may have to reschedule some of my exams, but I've gotten the okay from the professors to do that. Yay!!! I'll see you all soon.
Peace,
Amy
Last weekend we had the Capita Selecta, a 4 day Canon Law program at a small castle on the Belgian-French border. One day there was a lovely snowfall. Nothing stuck to the ground, but it was lovely coming down.There were about 20 people there altogether - a really international group. At one point we were gathering for sunday mass and the first four of us sat in back: a european, an american, an asian and an african - we decided that it was a mark of the true church: one, holy, catholic, apostolic and sitting in the back.
We had Professor Werkmeister from Strasbourg who did about 10 hours on History of Canon Law. It was really interesting and when you get the historical perspective, our current situation seems less overwhelming. When we got to the point of reading a 1140 canon law text called Gratian's Decree - the professor was like a little kid showing off his toy. He was practically giddy translating and explaining the latin.
Okay I should also note that Werkmeister is in his 60s and was in an amateur cycle race last week. He had an accident in the race, and had one arm in a sling, two fingers on each hand were broken, his shoulder was messed up and he had a big bandage above one eye. Apparently he had surgery the day before he came for the program. Anyway he was pretty energetic for all that.
On the weekend I got some more collaborators for my Canon Law wiki. The idea is sort of like wikipedia, but on Canon Law. So that in the end, there will be a resource that folks can access with information about Canon Law. Also, theoretically anyone with internet can contribute as well. So it should be pretty helpful. Especially if I can get folks from this program who are from all over the world. You can check out this project at canonlaw.wikispot.org
Today I also booked my flight home. I'll come in on Christmas Eve and fly back at 1:30 after the Chapter ends on Jan 20. I may have to reschedule some of my exams, but I've gotten the okay from the professors to do that. Yay!!! I'll see you all soon.
Peace,
Amy
Comments
The bookmark has arrived it is beautiful thanks!
Glad to know you will be in the states over the holiday and at the chapter see you then.
Nancy in Atlanta