Sinterklaas

Happy feast of Sinterklaas - St. Nicholas. This is a big deal here. A BIG deal! The photo on the left is the local version of Sinterklaas. The 'elves' are called zwart peter - black peter. It is interesting to find the locals dressing up and blacking their faces and going out shopping. Our choir is having a little Sinterklaas celebration. Apparently the next phase of christmas over here: the christmas market or Kerstmarkt can't start (by law) till after Sinterklaas has had his big day. My neighbor came over early and gave me some eggs and veggies and pudding.

Legend is that Sinterklaas comes up from Spain. Now of course, it's supposed to be the Turkish St. Nicholas. But the current story is he comes from Spain and generally by boat. Here is a photo of that - although I didn't go out to see it myself.

There is serious christmas lighting around town. There aren't alots of trees in town, but I believe that every one is filled with lights. There have been city workers all around town putting up lights. It is quite amazing to see things ramp up. While all the preparations are interferring with traffic, people take it all in stride. For all the trucks that block traffic regularly on the main thoroughfare, I rarely hear honking or people getting upset with things. They just wait their turn and go around. But it really shows that this is more of a walking town.

The Kerstmarkt is being set up - I have this photo from the Leuven website. Kertsmarkt The market will run for 10 days, and I'll let you know more what is there once it opens and the atmosphere and all. But I'll tell you the whole town shows up for all the markets. We have a weekly open air market that is mainly food - fruits, veggies, breads and pastries, cheeses and meat, as well as a variety of clothing booths. I've been doing may main food shopping there - along with most of the rest of the town. But apparently the Kerstmarkt will bring in folks from the surrounding area as well.

Otherwise, I'm winding down with the last few weeks of classes. I'm working with the various faculties to arrange my exams around my trip to the US and Chapter. I have classes in the Law School, the Theology School and the Canon Law School - which means I have to arrange things with the three offices. Then I'll see you soon!

Peace,
Amy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Interesting description of St. Nicholas Day in Belgium. St. Nicholas always comes to Our Lady's Community and leaves things in our stockings, which we hung on our fireplace a few days ago.
Will be happy to see you.
Love,
MAry Ann H.
Anonymous said…
Happy feast of Sinterklaas back at you, even if a bit belated by your clock! The market place must be a very interesting place... So many countries in such a relatively close area! Enjoy all the culture as well as your studies and new friends! I look forward to your return in a few weeks.
--Pat M
Anonymous said…
Oh I would love to be at the market with you! What a fun experience! It is great to share such super pictures. I hope your Belgium friends will like the STL ones when you come home.

Study hard.

Marianne