Greetings from St. Louis

I came home for to St. Louis for Christmas and have enjoyed connecting with community, family and friends over the last few weeks. By the time this article goes to press (in the province newsletter), I'll be on my way back to Belgium for my first round of exams. Truth to tell, I'm writing now so that as I head into exams, you'll be reading this article and send some prayers, positive energy and wisdom my way.
Exam time in Leuven is the second half of January. I managed to get some of my exams moved so that I could stay for the last session of Chapter in January 2008. When I arrive back, I'll still be battling jet lag when I have my first exam: Latin. We were warned before that class that if you don't already know latin, don't take the class. Hmm....
Then I have some time to study and adjust before my last four exams which are Jan 30, 31 and Feb 1. Those will be in Human Rights Law, General Norms (Canon Law), Foundations of Canon Law and Law and Religion. The last three will be oral exams of 10 to 15 minutes each. So prayers for a spark of brilliance at the proper moment would be appreciated.
After the exams we have a week off and I'm heading down to Le Puy (about 6 hours from Leuven) for a few days. That should be awesome. Everyone who's been there speaks very highly of it. It should also be sunnier than Belgium, so that will be nice as well.
I know the classes that I will have second semester - there will be 7 canon law classes and 2 theology classes and a thesis. So I should be busy. My dutch class will end in mid-february, about the time the other classes are getting into full swing. We will have two weeks off at easter time as well. I'll see how busy things are at that time before I decide whether I'll stay and study or get out and see things.
As I have shared with many of you, the experience has been wonderful - the academics are good, and quite a different experience from the US. My colleagues in the English program come from all over the world, adding to the richness of the experience. And finally, even though I'm in western Europe, the culture is quite different from the US, so there are lots of new experiences that range from charming to frustrating. A lot depends on the attitude I bring to it, so I'm usually choosing to be charmed.
I would like to thank everyone for expressions of love and support both in person and by email and on this blog. It has meant a lot to me.
--Amy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amy,
So glad to see a new installment to the blog I was have "Amy withdrawel". I can't imagine taking a Latin exam. Be assured of prayers for exams.
See you at Chapter,
Nancy in Atlanta
Anonymous said…
Amy, Just found your blog and love it. Had to read all that came up since your prep for coming home to St. Louis, Thanks! I been thinking and praying for you now that I know where you are,praying is better! 'Course I remember you better than I expect you to remember me, from the MS/AL sectionals. One in happening next wkend and I have to miss it cuz of local commitment. Manette Durand csjstpaul