Second Semester Starts
Greetings,
Thanks for your comments and email.
I've starting getting an idea together for a thesis for this year's program. It has to be something on rights, so I'm thinking of doing something on rights of religious. I could do Canon 662-672 - the section on rights and obligations, maybe tracing it back to see where they came from. Or I could take canon 220 on privacy and good reputation and see how it is impacted by members, particularly when entering or leaving a religious community. Topics have to be submitted by the middle of March.
I'm into my second week of classes. While last semester seemed to take forever to get underway, this semester seems to be already half over after a week and a half. That is at least in part due to the fact that I came back from Le Puy just in time for my Dutch Exam monday evening, and then I've been trying to fit Theology classes among Canon Law classes. Also, I had a webcast on tax law yesterday evening. And that had to include a new tax law passed last week, so I had to incorporate a new section into the program. Whew!
Some of you have been asking about my classes. I'm pretty much settled on the following:
-Theology of Canon Law - A little too early to say much about this other that what the title says.
-Teaching Office of the Church - This is the section of the code with some of the canons that are the basis of the canonical problems of St. Cronan's in St. Louis.
-Organization of the Particular Church (which I won't be able to attend because of a conflict, so I'll read the commentary and get someone's notes). (note, these first three classes are from the same lecturer who is less than a stellar presenter. Sigh.)
-Marriage Law by the first woman canonical judge in Belgium, a lay woman. She is delightful, so though this isn't my area of law, I think I'll enjoy the class.
-Parish Law by an adjunct faculty member. This class was canceled last week, so I have nothing to report on it.
-Onclin Chair - this is a week long seminar that will be held next week with visiting speakers. I think it is on Penalties, but they haven't given us too much information - after all, it's not till next week.
-Process Law which will be in a weekend course at a castle.
-For theology, I'm taking Psalms and Wisdom Literature, and Missiology. The missiology course is particularly interesting because we have the whole world in the classroom. There will be three lecturers taking sections of the course. The first is a German guy reading his lectures on Asia. Good information, but delivery is weak. And of course with all the students from all over the world, it is particularly interesting.
I am trying to decide whether to focus on History or Scripture for my Theology studies. I don't really have to decide this year. The down side of scripture is I would have an extra 4 courses to take (Greek and Hebrew) - since I like languages, that may be an up-side. But I will probably take the easy way out and do history - that's history of theology and spirituality, so it could be interesting. And it's more likely that I'll be able to finish it in the time I'm here.
The only other news is that I've installed Linux on my computer. It is an alternative to Windows or Mac, and it is open-source. That means that it is developed by people all over the world working together collaboratively for their mutual benefit and for others who could use it -- for free. The symbol is the penguin.
Peace,
Amy
Thanks for your comments and email.
I've starting getting an idea together for a thesis for this year's program. It has to be something on rights, so I'm thinking of doing something on rights of religious. I could do Canon 662-672 - the section on rights and obligations, maybe tracing it back to see where they came from. Or I could take canon 220 on privacy and good reputation and see how it is impacted by members, particularly when entering or leaving a religious community. Topics have to be submitted by the middle of March.
I'm into my second week of classes. While last semester seemed to take forever to get underway, this semester seems to be already half over after a week and a half. That is at least in part due to the fact that I came back from Le Puy just in time for my Dutch Exam monday evening, and then I've been trying to fit Theology classes among Canon Law classes. Also, I had a webcast on tax law yesterday evening. And that had to include a new tax law passed last week, so I had to incorporate a new section into the program. Whew!
Some of you have been asking about my classes. I'm pretty much settled on the following:
-Theology of Canon Law - A little too early to say much about this other that what the title says.
-Teaching Office of the Church - This is the section of the code with some of the canons that are the basis of the canonical problems of St. Cronan's in St. Louis.
-Organization of the Particular Church (which I won't be able to attend because of a conflict, so I'll read the commentary and get someone's notes). (note, these first three classes are from the same lecturer who is less than a stellar presenter. Sigh.)
-Marriage Law by the first woman canonical judge in Belgium, a lay woman. She is delightful, so though this isn't my area of law, I think I'll enjoy the class.
-Parish Law by an adjunct faculty member. This class was canceled last week, so I have nothing to report on it.
-Onclin Chair - this is a week long seminar that will be held next week with visiting speakers. I think it is on Penalties, but they haven't given us too much information - after all, it's not till next week.
-Process Law which will be in a weekend course at a castle.
-For theology, I'm taking Psalms and Wisdom Literature, and Missiology. The missiology course is particularly interesting because we have the whole world in the classroom. There will be three lecturers taking sections of the course. The first is a German guy reading his lectures on Asia. Good information, but delivery is weak. And of course with all the students from all over the world, it is particularly interesting.
I am trying to decide whether to focus on History or Scripture for my Theology studies. I don't really have to decide this year. The down side of scripture is I would have an extra 4 courses to take (Greek and Hebrew) - since I like languages, that may be an up-side. But I will probably take the easy way out and do history - that's history of theology and spirituality, so it could be interesting. And it's more likely that I'll be able to finish it in the time I'm here.
The only other news is that I've installed Linux on my computer. It is an alternative to Windows or Mac, and it is open-source. That means that it is developed by people all over the world working together collaboratively for their mutual benefit and for others who could use it -- for free. The symbol is the penguin.Peace,
Amy
Comments
--Pat M
Good hearing about your classes. Please take good notes on the course associated with the types of problems wer'e having at Saint Cronan's! Our last parish assembly of three hours was intense yet clarified our divergent views and
helped to unite us in caring for one another and Archbishop Burke.
A thesis around rights of religious would be a great help to the Church.
Keep light before you and in your heart during these cloudy days! Ice today in St. Louis.
love,
Margaret
ml
I'm a bit late reading your blog. I find it very interesting. How do you manage to keep everything straight. We keep in contact with Julie through Marian Cowan. My niece and her husband were here this past week-end. They had been here last year for the same meetings. We had plenty of time to visit, since weather kept us inside.
Continue to enjoy. Love 7 prayers Paula.
I'm a bit late reading your blog. I find it very interesting. How do you manage to keep everything straight. We keep in contact with Julie through Marian Cowan. My niece and her husband were here this past week-end. They had been here last year for the same meetings. We had plenty of time to visit, since weather kept us inside.
Continue to enjoy. Love 7 prayers Paula.