Brugge

My trip to Brugge is the first of my Spring Break Trips. I had planned a longer excursion, but am settling for several shorter trips. Brugge was the first of these trips. It is about 1.5 hrs west of Leuven - near the west coast of Belgium. It is one of the oldest cities, and best preserved. There was a moat around the old city, which still exists and has mainly tour boat traffic. I didn't take the boat tour, but I'm sure I will next time I come. I walked from the Station to the Center of town, which took about an hour since I was taking in sites along the way. Then I ate in the square, an headed out.

The skyline is so medieval - very cool. Everywhere you look there are cool old buildings. Leuven took more of a beating during the world wars, and while we have old buildings, we also have newer buildings interspersed. Also, the canals are everywhere, and there are boats on them. I went in one church and it was really out of control ornate. Beautiful, but out of control. It makes me understand how the younger generations here in Europe see that and get turned off of the Church. I'm sure it was a devotional thing, making all the beauty in the Church. But it is also a counter witness to simplicity and care for the poor.

I remembered all Pat Quinn's tales of her and Kate Regan's side trip to Brugge - too bad I didn't know the exact places, I could have followed in their footsteps. I came home in time for a conference call this evening (early afternoon in the states). When I got back to Leuven, I saw some sun - it had been overcast all the time I was in Brugge. So I'll probably stay home and work/study Thursday, then on Saturday, I'm going to meet a CSJ who is working in Brussels. That will be fun. I'm not sure if I'll try to take in another city before that.

I'll probably do a travel log of my adventures for the next couple of weeks, so I hope I don't wear out my readers.

Peace,
Amy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Arm,
I'm so glad you are taking advantage of you time there to delve into the history and culture. Your pictures are great. Where does the CSJ come from? I'm sure you enjoyed getting together with her.
Tonight is our final "Christmas" dinner. It is for Sacred Heart Community and I am doing the cooking. I hope they enjoy this non-cook's sampling of food.
Henry is precious, if I forgot to mention it!!!
Love and prayers, Paula