שלומ

I had to laugh as I looked across my table - it's actually my kitchen table, my dining room table, and my work table. In any case, there were assorted papers in English, a newspaper in Dutch, some copies from the Bible in Hebrew, a few canonical documents in Latin, and some articles I'm reading in Spanish and Italian.

So a language report - I'm doing okay around town with Dutch, but it's a little rough when we get beyond the basics. I've been to Mass a few times in Dutch, there's a little church really close to me. Latin is coming along - I'm okay with figuring out what stuff means, but when you have to get to the technical fine points, it's a little tricky. Apparently they are planning to do another semester of Latin for us next year - I'll be ready to chat with Cicero; but it won't help me much talking with the dear neighbor.

If I decide to concentrate in Scripture for the Theology program, I'll have to do Greek and Hebrew. I'm already somewhat into Hebrew, but Greek is - well - Greek to me. So I'll have some work to do there.

I finished classes for my Spring Break. I had originally planned to try to do a longer trip somewhere, but then tried shorter trips, and now I have nothing planned. So I'll probably just go around in Belgium. I have some friends here that might be interested, otherwise, I'll take off for day trips by myself. I certainly can keep myself busy studying, etc. But it will be good to get out.

We have had nice Holy Week services at the International Parish - and we'll have the Easter Vigil tonight, and tomorrow morning the choir is singing again for morning mass. That is always a nice group to hang out with, and the liturgies are always good. During the washing of the feet, for example, we had it where we all wash each other's feet - it was particularly moving with people from all over the world participating. The international element continues to be one of the greatest sources of enrichment of being here. So I guess that gets us back to language.

peace - frieden - paz - paix - pace - vrede - pokój - שלומ,
Amy

Comments

Anonymous said…
And peace - frieden - paz - paix - pace - vrede - pokój - שלומ, to you! Impressive! (I just cut and pasted it.) It reminds me of the time when I said how impressed I was with the fact that Pope John Paul II spoke so many languages, and my brother said, "No, he doesn't speak all those languages; he knows phrases in all of them." Anyway, I'm impressed with anyone who can say a word or phrase in any language besides English. (My "modern" language for my BA degree was Latin!)
Glad you're taking some time off, as your schedule seems really intense. Happy Easter!
Love,
Mary Ann H.
Anonymous said…
Happy Holy Easter to you, AMY!
It is 40 degress this AM and going up to 70 so it will be a pretty day and I plan to BBQ a pork butt on the grill. I went to early Mass this AM... It is as if I find the empty tomb.. it is easter ritual for me...

PEACE.
Nancy in Atlanta
Anonymous said…
Peace to you, Amy. May your vacation time be both restful and enjoyable. I'm sure it would be much more fun to do your sight-seeing with someone else for company, and also so you can share memories later on.

When will you next get back stateside? I hope it isn't an eternity away! I think I saw that you tried to skype me, but I have forgotten what to do to respond.... I'll work on that!

Pat M