Interesting Interaction
All is well here, fairly busy. I just had a week long seminar, but most of it was canceled, except about 6 hours of lectures in Dutch. I finished my beginning dutch class, but it certainly wasn't enough for this. So I had my computer and searched the names of the speaker to see if I could find out what they might be speaking about. Anyway, it was an interesting experience.I have been taking some theology classes, and just got the go ahead for a theology program. So now I'm official. One of the classes, and it is interesting because we have about 1/3 Asians, 1/3 Africans and 1/3 Europeans. I think I'm the only one from the Americas.
We had a German guy who is doing the church in Asia. At one point he was talking about the Asian churches' attempt to develop a culturally Asian theology, much the way the west has developed it's own theology. He was explaining that many of the concepts in western theology aren't meaningful in Asia. One interesting point is that the professor did his doctoral dissertation under Karl Rahner, and occasionally brings up a story from that, and Rahner's critique of western theology.
Anyway at one point during our last lecture, one of the Nigerian students said that he understood the problem in Asia - he said that he teaches about the Trinity in Nigeria, and he said that it makes no sense to the people there. He said that the European concept of person makes no sense to his people and so when you try to explain the Trinity, it is just impossible. It is a concept that has been articulated and explored in western concepts that don't make sense to his people.
Then a slovakian responded that of course it makes sense - it's logical, it makes complete sense. The professor then smiled and said that is exactly the problem. In the west, our theology is so consonant with our culture, philosophy and mental constructs, that we can't imagine that there are other mental frameworks in which it doesn't work. Asians and Africans have different culture, history and philosophy, so when they reflect on revelation within their context, they will have a theology that will work for them, but may not make sense to us. And just the way the west has been exporting theology, expecting it to enrich other cultures, in the future if these other cultures are given the freedom to develop their theologies, we in the west may one day be enriched by them.
It is quite interesting to hear the experience of these vibrant churches in various parts of the world.
Peace,
Amy
Comments
Wow! That is so neat that you could "attend" a sectional that way. What next?
Your theology scenario reminded me of the Native American who explained Trinity to his son by bringing him to the lake. They talked about the lake being frozen, the lake now, and the vaporizing in early morning or when they cook with it. The father compared that to how God is three in one... didn't need to name "person."
Hope you have another interesting week!
--Pat M
I really enjoyed your blog. I don't tend to think about other cultures. Glad, too, that you have the go-ahead on the Theology as well as Canon Law. Might as well cash in the the opportunity.
We haven't seen Henry as yet, but are looking forward since we've been praying him here for so long!!!
Great about the Sectional. Mine, which was also yours, is next Saturday.
Another big storm coming in tonight and tomorrow.
Enjoy... Love and prayers, Paula
Hope your knee is much better at this writing. Your account of understandings of the Trinity in Eastern culture was most interesting. I was impressed with Pat's response to that. How much there is to learn from one another! Keep us on our toes! Love, Joyce.
They were at Saint Cronan's for Eucharist. Parents and Grandparents looked very happy too:-)
Margaret
I hope all is healing well. I was thrilled to hear that you were able to participate in sectional. We need to hear these things are possible. What a gift you are to us! It will be great to hear about the continued conversation with your friends from Asia. I believe that there is big movement. One of the items on the internet recently was the biggest growth for the Jesuits was in India. They were saying this would change how they look and live and be as Jesuits. May we be open to such movements. Blessings,
Marianne