Oh the Places You'll Go

I just couldn't help thinking of this title of the Dr. Seuss book while I was on the train on my way back from Liege. The name of the town in Dutch is Luik, which is important when you're trying to find the train on the kiosk. Yet another adventure in lovely old churches; this time however, I had some language difficulties since no one was willing to speak english or dutch, so I had to rely on my french, and they folks there speak a notoriously oblique dialect of french. So they looked quite puzzled as I asked for the bus to get me to city center, but eventually I found the bus there, then got directions to the cathedral, and what is a little more miraculous, found my way back to the station on a different bus. Then I had to switch buses, and the last driver looked particularly pained and puzzled when I asked him if the bus went to the station. However, he acknowledged that it did.

Liege was more of a challenge, partially because of the language, partially because it isn't really a tourist town, although it certainly has its store of lovely buildings and churches. I found my way to the cathedral - St. Paul, and it is quite well restored, with lots of tremendously ornate art and furnishings.

My next stop was the University of Liege - well, why not. It was certainly a lovely building, but I couldn't really figure out what was happening inside - education I suppose, but I think I was in the administration building at lunch break. Liege is east of Leuven, almost to the German border. It is an industrial town, and very active center of commerce. It has one of the largest inland ports in Europe. (I read the guide book.)

I also had a real treat on my bus ride back to the station - it surely wasn't the most direct route, but I went past many of the major sites, and crossed the river three times (or maybe four). Thankfully, I had a good look at the church steeple near the train station, and as long as it kept coming in view, I was fairly confident of finding my way back.

It was a nice break, now back to the books tomorrow, I think. Then I'm planning one more excursion to Aachen on Saturday. I have maps for that already, and I won't even try German. Oh, I also found a cool belgium travel guide at the second hand shop - it has maps of the main town centers, along with little histories and 'curiosities'. It's in french, but I think I can make out the main points of interest. It is helpful since most towns don't provide free maps, and the ones they sell are expensive, and often not helpful to a tourist.

Peace,
Amy

Comments

Anonymous said…
You surely are adventurous! I don't know that I would attempt all of this travel by myself, especially without knowing the languages! I'm glad you did it, though.

How was your visit with that CSJ last Saturday, I think it was supposed to be? Were you able to communicate with each other? In what language?

On this side of the ocean we have had an abundance of R A I N! The midwest is about to float away. A mudslide above the River Road near Grafton is about to swallow a house and cut off road access. Tonight I heard that this pattern of two days of rain interspersed with two days of nicer weather is expected to continue until the end of April. Temps don't seem to get out of the 50's, either. Pretty cool spring!

May classes become a welcome break from your "traumatic" tours!

Pat M
Anonymous said…
Dear Amy,
You are really adventurous..spelling doesn't look right!! What an opportunity you have being there.
I had a cardiac catherization on Tuesday and stayed at St. Mary's until Wednesday. I'm slowly getting my strength back. Fortunately they found only good arteries.
I'm still complaining about this St. Louis weather. Love & prayers, Paula
Anonymous said…
Dear Amy,
You are the adventurer.! keep on doing your traveling and you will find such special treasures....
Glad you are doing well.

Atlanta is getting ready for Dogwood festival a large art festival...so wonderful but expensive.
Nancy in Atlanta.
Anonymous said…
Amy,
I hadn't been on your blog for awhile and I sure had a lot of catching up to do-geez, you are adventursome and brave with the languages. I'm glad you are getting around.
Spring is here and if you were here, you would be fussing with your herbs. Are you doing them there?
When do we get to see you again here in good old St. Louis?
Rose McLarney
Anonymous said…
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.