Final Stretch

It's been a while and lots of 'business as usual', exams, rain, blah, blah, blah.... Last week at the parish, the Ukranian community brought in a choir and celebrant and we had a full blown eastern liturgy. Our choir had learned a few pieces to sing with their choir. We had practiced on Friday, and wanted to run through them with their choir. So their director gave the notes, and off we ran - four part acappella. Yes, we ran. When we arrived at the end, our choir was somewhat dazed and the other director gave the notes for the next piece and off we ran again. When someone from our choir objected: this is new for us, their director said (with a so what tone of voice): it's new for us too, we're used to singing it in old slavonic, not in english. Thus ended our practice.
The liturgy was similar to other eastern liturgies I've been at. Lots of things going on all at the same time. And their choir sang in four parts for almost the whole time - just shy of two hours. The choir and celebrant kept changing languages without warning, those that I recognized were: english, dutch, french, spanish and italian. The polish girls in our choir looked like they recognized parts of it - so I'm not sure if that was polish or slavonic or whatever else. It would just run along in completely unrecognizable vocalization then all the sudden I would understand something, then say to myself: wait, what's going on, what is this. Apparently we'll do this more next year, so maybe it will get more familiar.
It is the final stretch for exams. I have four this week and the thesis defense. Some of these are my hardest exams, but I think I'm pretty much ready for them. I had a few days after my last exams to prepare for this last bunch, so it's getting close now. All is going well, I'm keeping tally in the side bar to the left - Smiley face means I'm pretty satisfied, the one in Psalms I don't think was my best effort, not bad, but not great either. Thankfully grades aren't too important at this point. It is more or less pass fail, so I can put in the effort to get the education I want without worrying about results. In any case, I expect to graduate in the top 5 in my program - oh, I guess that is the bottom 5 as well, but what's that between friends?
Wow, it also seems we have a little competitive spirit among the blog readers! Lots of answers to the last question; it was fun reading them. Stay tuned in for more questions. It's almost time for choir practice. Then I have to decide whether I'm going to take a break tomorrow (Saturday), or whether I'll study tomorrow and then take a break all of Sunday, maybe heading out somewhere after Mass. I may see how I feel tomorrow. I've been taking breaks and getting on my bike and riding on outside of town. There is a gown that may be close enough to cycle to, 10km I think. I may at least head out in that direction. I haven't done any trips that long yet - I'll let you know.Amy
Comments
Mary Ann H.
Sounds like its going pretty well...
Take some oment for self to absorb. enjoy the cycling around and singing.
Nancy in Atlanta
I'm so glad you take time to write up all your experiences. I really enjoy keeping up with you. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.
I'll share my Texas trip with you when you get home...or rather after I get off retreat. I'm really looking forward to your coming home.
We had our 19th group last night and we talked about you.
Love and prayers, Paula
Meanwhile, good luck with your remaining exams!
Baya