I was not arrested....
No, I was not arrested, but I think I could have been. Let me explain. I have been studying pretty diligently, but at a certain point, it becomes impossible to do anything more - and I find a hundred excuses not t sit down and study - clearly, it's time for a break. So I pull out my handy guide to Belgium. This is a second hand book I picked up - it's in french, about 10 years old. But contrary to many guides which give you the hotels and restaurants and all the places you can spend money, this guide tells you about all the cools stuff to see "Curiosities" and all the special events "Manifestationes" for the town.
It's Sunday afternoon and the few friends from church decline to join me on the adventure. I choose Diest as my destination, a about 30 minutes by train, and it boasts a citadelle, a few churches, a beguinhof and a fly-in. The website where I check for trains is not working, so I walk to the station only to find my train doesn't leave for 45 minutes. I grab lunch and enjoy the exquisite weather. Finally, I catch my train and head for Diest. Overhead the full time, there are small aircraft taking advantage of the incredible weather. There were three gliders circling near the airport. There were several parachuters drifting through the skies. I visit the Beguinhof and a number of churches, then head to the citadelle.
It's not well marked, surprising, since the other sites gave signs along the way to guide you in. I head up a lovely cobblestone path shaded over with trees. There aren't many people here as there had been at the other places I visited. The incline is steep (for Belgium) and I'm looking forward to a nice scenic view at the top. Military Domein - the sign announces - I must be in the right place. There is another sign, but it is so weathered I can't make out what it says. There is a large gate closed, but a small gate to the side that's open - still not many signs indicating where things are, and no people around. I pass through the walking gate, and head up a small incline. Still no people, but there are a few dozen cars, so there must have been people coming through the larger gate. I looked around a bit, then saw a sign Verboden Toegang - Access Forbidden - Hmmm.... Maybe that's why other people aren't around - they aren't so friendly. I decide to wander back out. Later on the train ride home, I read in my guide book that this is an active military installation and there is no public access. Ooops.... Back to the books now, and stay off of military bases.
Peace,
Amy
Diest Fly In
Comments
I was curious what a Beguinhof is so I googled it. I found out it was a house (hof?) for Beguines. Wasn't there a Cole Porter song "Begin the Beguine"? The Cole Porter Beguine is a dance with an unconventional rhythm. The Beguines who live in Beguinhofs are single women not quite ready to make vows to religious life. I am not quite sure how both got the same name...
What did people do before Google? Lay awake trying to figure out this stuff.
Susan
I'm so glad you are the one who is so venturous. I'd probably sit at home and watch the world go by.
I responded to your other e-mail.
See you soon... Paula
Truly, there is never a dull moment in your study journey. How great that you are so balanced! I love seeing your picturs and catching up on your life.
Will the sisters going to Africa land near where you are in Belgium? Wouldn't that be great for them to see you. It was most moving to send them off today. We are really blessed.
Take care. Keep the stories coming.
Marianne
Mlou
Course he was protesting nuke weapons.
Peace and All Good,
Tom
Although I haven't been faithful in writing you, I appreciate your keeping us present and making present the reality of your world. So rich.
What a gift that you could meet our sisters on the way to Gulu. I'm certain they were overjoyed to have you waiting for them, sharing a bit and then steering them on to the next stop.
My prayers continue to be with you and your family as mourning the loss of your dear nephew will be present for a long time.
May your studies continue to go well.
The violence here at the border, especially as the Mexican drug cartels war with one another, has left too many dead, especially members of law enforcement. Who will have any desire to remain faithful to that public service when their lives and those of their families are at risk. Here on this side, we remain safe.
Will you be able to be at the assembly?
Paz, con mucho carino, Ida