Lots happening....

I made it back well - no major travel difficulties. My major goals for the week or so before classes are
  1. to readjust to the time - this hasn't been really a difficulty - I don't know if I'm getting better at crossing time zones, or what. But I've been okay on this score. I am glad that I don't have to do classes this week, but that's mainly because of goal two.
  2. to take care of all the renewals and registrations, etc. This has been going well, and I'm on hold on a few things, waiting for paperwork for prior things before I can do the next step.
So I had lunch with my friends Colby and Elizabeth on Friday, and also met Patrick and Helena who stayed at my place over the summer. They are nice folks, and I'm sure I will enjoy getting to know them. Colby and Elizabeth are doing well, they moved and are very pleased with their new place.

Also on Friday I registered at the university and saw the doc at the student health clinic about getting continuing care for my shoulder.

Then Friday evening I went to choir practice and met all those folks. That was nice, and I enjoyed seeing my friends there and catching up a little. However, I was a little tired, so didn't join them for a little gathering after choir practice.

Sunday was church, again connected with old friends and met some new folks. There is still the festival in town, the Kermis, and all day during the day there were folks marching down the main street - I could hear the bands from my place, and the video at the bottom will give you a flavor. They have clubs based on birth year: the '42 club and the '58 club and the '67 club, etc. These are service groups and they will sponsor different events, and also each group has a particular color blazer that they wear for particular occasions, and a banner for parades. Every ten or fifteen minutes a few groups would parade down the main street with a marching band. There must have been a dozen bands - and this isn't that big a town. I will try to post my video later - but I don't have my camera connector yet (I mailed it to myself).

Monday I renewed internet and renewed my bike contract. They asked if there was anything wrong with the bike and I named a few things - they said to leave that bike and choose a different one. So I have a new ride - it's newer, still on its first coat of paint - a nice blue color. I think I need the handlebars raised. I also signed up for a French class - I was waffling on this one, but finally decided to go ahead, because I'm unlikely to get the chance again to learn from a native speaker.

That brings me to today, Tuesday - I just took the placement test for French and got into level two. That will start next week, la semaine prochaine, and runs through the academic year. The placement test was interesting you walked in and you could pick any computer - and put on headphones (this was all explained in dutch). When you sat down, you could choose the language you were testing in (about a dozen choices) and your language (for some preliminary instructions - about 6 choices). As we were gathering, people were giving instructions and verifying instructions in a host of languages.

I also connected with the other full-time canon law student in residence (note the modifiers). She has a nice new apartment - but may not be staying for the program this year - long story. The schedule is still not available, but I am pretty sure I know what my Theology program will be. I'll have to do some negotiating to make sure everything works out for that.

Well, I think that's all for now - I'm doing well and getting re-settled. It's kind of wierd to feel like I'm 'coming home' but this is home for now.

Peace,
Amy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good hearing that you are back in Belgium!!!! It was so good having you back in the states for the summer. Continue to enjoy the surprises of each day. Your bike sounds great. I wa looking at one the other day but after I saw the price I decided to look around some more. Wish I could rent one for a year at a time!!!!! I leave for St. Paul, MN tomorrow!! Take care. ml
Anonymous said…
The Kermis, don't tell Mia, she will get all excited and want to jump on a plane to go back! Glad you are "home" and enjoy the "very European" lifestyle.