Busted!

I got my first Bicycle ticket - 50 euros! Ouch! My tail light was out, and the first I knew of it was the cop pulled up on the bike next to me and seemed to be indicating I should pull over. He was gracious enough to explain in english - although I knew he was displeased with my 'achterlight'. So I was late to choir practice - even later than I would have been. When I told someone I got a ticket, they thought I meant a plane ticket - don't I wish....


All else is humming along, though I'm really busy. Good busy, reading poetry, and such. This is a 4 day weekend, Wapenstilstan - or Armistice to the rest of us. But since it falls on Tuesday, many places are closed on Monday as well, especially since we didn't get All Saints day off this year, since it was on the weekend. This is only my second year here, and already I miss my extra holidays.

Mary Kay Liston will be heading back to the US, we had 3 failed attempts to connect. So close.... But Barb Jennings will be here in two weeks, so that will be nice. She is staying with me, so I'm sure we'll connect.

It is rather amazing to see the reaction of the Europeans and the international students here to the election. They are wildly enthusiastic for Obama and delighted to see he won. It is interesting to see. Some here have said that there has been more interest worldwide over this election than for most. Althought I get the impression that the people on the streets are generally quite well informed and interested in the US political scene. Anyway, every time they congratulate me, I have to tell them that my state has yet to decide, although I understand Missouri has been voted for the winner for the last 100 years. We'll see where we end up now. Anyway, it has certainly been interesting to hear everyone's comments. I've been congratulated a LOT! and people want to know what my reaction is and the US reaction, and how I found out - did I stay up - did I hear the speeches, etc.
This morning I'm in the library - blogging - so no great shakes. But it will be closed for the next three days, so I want to get some things done. I proposed to one professor that I make my own reader (collection of articles) rather than his. Mine will focus on religious life whereas his was on parish and diocesan life. Anyway he agreed, so I was here looking up articles. I proposed the list, then if he OKs it, I'll get reading....
I'm hoping to finalize 3 papers this weekend. They are basically written, but if I can put a few more hours on each, they should be ready to turn in (at exam time). I also want to get a pretty good outline of my Thesis. I'm really enjoying reading everything of Thompson I can find, or get off Ebay. I've also gotten some articles about him that help me situate him in the literary landscape of his time - since I really don't know literature so well. So far, people seem to either love him or hate him for the same reasons: he is intense, packed with imagery, deeply spiritual, non-linear, even chaotic. Okay, I think this is what makes him so awesome. One critic says that he has more damage to the English language than American newspapers....
Here's a LINK to - To a Snowflake - it is a good short introduction, though, it isn't as intense as some of his work.
Okay, that's your inspiration for the week, take care,
Amy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amy,
Getting a ticket for a bicycle infraction is really funny at least it was'nt speeding.
Enjoy the Poem from Thompson.
Know you are thought of and missed.

Nancy in Atlanta