Aachen, Amsterdam, Gent, Brussels ... and Leuven

What a great visit I had when Barb came over. We saw lots of cities. It was my first time to Amsterdam or anywhere in the Netherlands. Interesting place. They deliberately build their buildings crooked (leaning over the street) so they can lift furniture up through the windows. Who would have thought...???

Aachen was great - it's just over the border into Germany, and they already had their Christmas Market up and running. That was fun, we also saw the Cathedral and the town hall and the standard stuff. It was raining A LOT last time I was in Aachen, so it was nice to see it in the sun, though it was quite cold. We had coffee and pastries in a little coffee shop, and then did some shopping for household items. The story has to be told in person - you'll have to ask Barb, we laughed and laughed.

Gent is one of my favorite Belgian city of mine - I recommend it over Brugge - where everyone else has been. I like the folks dancing on the top of a facade - see right - and a friend described it as magical. It has lots of cool old castle-like buildings in fairly close proximity. I lost my gloves, so after we discovered it, we walked back to the probably place of loosing - and sure enough they were there sitting on a table, so I would see them if I came back. There was something we didn't see in Gent, but I dont' remember what it was.

One day, Barb came to my Vatican II class, and French class - so she got a taste of that. She also took part in the Sunday liturgy at the parish and sung in the choir. I also got to run some of my literary theories by her, since she has a background in that. I'm thoroughly enjoying my thesis, but it helps to be able to talk with literary people since I dont' have much background in that. The last night, we met Anne Rutter a CSJ friend working in Brussels. There we saw the Christmas decorations:


It was quite a treat to have her and share something of life here. Now I'm looking forward to Tom's visit, then Uganda, Exams, etc.

Peace,
Amy

Comments