Lions and monkeys and giraffes! Oh my!!!

We went out to an animal park here in Gulu - Amazing. The auxiliary bishop here grew up in the park - his father was a park ranger. AMAZING. We saw all sorts of animals that we've all seen in pictures - but they were wandering around in these huge ranges. We got lots of interesting stories. Really enjoyable and amazing. We have had really good weather - warm in the afternoon, but quite pleasant in the mornings and evenings.
We will have Mass on Christmas, then spend the day with the sisters, we have pictures to share, and I brought some Christmas music and we've planned a meal. I'll be making a tropical fruit salad. All locally grown!
We had our lunch on the banks of the Nile both days we were in the park - Yes, that is the banks of the NILE!!! Amazing.
It has been interesting culturally - lots to think about, lots to process. How can we help in ways that are helpful. Not an easy question, the problems are complex. I think probably education and healthcare are the two primary things that would help for long term sustainability and development. Some of that is a matter of infrastructure, there are generally folks trained as teachers and healthcare professionals, but there isn't always money to pay them. So they may have to run a farm to have enough to eat. And of course peace would really be helpful. There has been a sense of peace for the last two years, after 20 years of war - attacks by rebels. Now the people are beginning to get back to normal, return to their land and rebuild their lives. But the peace is somewhat tentative. So prayers would be helpful.
So much to tell! I'll have more later, but wanted to give some news now. I'll sign off now and wish everyone a blessed and peaceful Christmas.
Peace,
Amy
Comments
Merry Christmas
oldad
I invite you to listen a special Christmas episode of my podcast “Levántate y Sal a Caminar”
28 minutes of Christmas carols in many languages, meditations and more…
Jesus loves you.
Luisa Veyan S.
From Lima-Peru
You can listen it in: http://levantateysalacaminar.podomatic.com/