Of Friends and Folly

Yes, it happens! Just a momentary click as the latch seats securely, and the deed is done. You're locked out. AGAIN!!!

I've prided myself so far in my Leuven adventures that I've managed to lock myself out only when the landlord's office (around the corner) was opened. Such good fortune for bad luck. But that has all come to an end. Let me tell you the story of a girl named Amy on a tragic and fateful day.... (feel free to hum along.)

Let me tell you the story
Of a girl named Amy
On a tragic and fateful day
She put ten euro in her pocket,
Locked the door and set out
Went to ride on her velo bike

Amy set off for French class
At the CLT in Leuven
And she turned on to Dekenstraat.
When she got there something funny told her,
"I forgot my key."
Amy couldn't get home that night.

Chorus:
Did she ever return,
No she never returned
And her fate is still unlearn'd
She may ride forever
'round the streets of Leuven
She's the girl who never returned.

Now all night long
Amy rides through the city
Crying, "What will become of me?
How can I afford to tell
My friends here in Leuven
that I am locked out AGAIN?"

Amy's friends aren't home
But she knows the sitter (Gabrielle)
And thank God she let her in
And through the open window
She tells Amy stay with me
I've a mattress and a sleeping bag.

Chorus

Next morning just a short ride
To the landlord's office
Thinking, "Surely he'll have a key."
When she got there the poster told her,
"Our Office is moved south.
You can see me in Heverlee."

Back on the bike -
Head for Arenbergplein,
The Landlord has just come in.
"We've just moved in, and it's chaos,
I can't find your key here
It must be back in Leuven-stad."

Chorus

Just one more tragedy
On the way back to Leuven
On this tragic and fateful day
Her brake gave out at Grote Markt
Had to be repaired
And she walked on to Willemsstraat

Now you citizens of Leuven
Don't you think it's a scandal
That the people have to ride and ride
And fight the memory decrease
Vote for George O'Brien!
Get poor Amy off the velo bike.

Chorus:
Or else she'll never return,
No she'll never return
And her fate will be unlearned
She may ride forever
'round the streets of Leuven
She's the girl who never returned.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amy,
You are so funny and able to laugh at your misfortune....
When are you going to hide a key ??

and Yes I Hummed along as I read this tale of woe.
Nancy in Atlanta
Anonymous said…
Amy, I enjoyed your song but felt bad for you. I was in a similar predicament myself this week. I could not find the remote to my tv and then when I went to get my haircut, I did not have my credit card. After looking everywhere for both, I opened my purse at work and there was my remote. I called the credit card company and when they told me of my last listings, I knew where my card was. It was by my computer after I had ordered something on Saturday afternoon. Oh well, it does happen.

Glad to hear that your folks were able to come and see you.

Suzanne Giro