Rome - What to See

Okay, this is a points entry. I'll be heading to Rome later this week, and I'm looking for advice on what to see & do, what to avoid - 100 points for all suggestions, 200 points if I actually go where you suggest and like it.

For reference, I will arrive late April 2 and I will leave late late April 14. I will stay with the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery about 2 miles from the Vatican. I'm sure they will have information for me about transport, etc. Also, a friend in Leuven lent me a map and travel guide. I already know that Bus 870 will get me to the pope's house.

I'll try to report from there, but I wanted to put this out to see if folks have ideas / travel advice, etc.

Peace,
Amy

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Amy,
One of the most beautiful churches in Rome is Cor Jesu the Jesuit church where Ignatius of Loyola is buried. It is Lapis Lazuli marble and gorgeous.
Not too far from the coliseum.
Have fun!
Nancy in Atlanta
Anonymous said…
Hi Amy,
When I went to Rome a few years ago, a friend suggested Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. It's quite amazing. This wikipedia link gives info about how it's built on the foundation of an Egyptian Godess. You can take a tour three levels down to a catecomb-like area that is very ancient.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_sopra_Minerva
Another favorite was the Scavi Tour. You probably know about that. It's the excavations under St. Peter's.
I've enjoyed reading your blog over the past couple of months and invite you to check out mine when you have a chance at http://asisterofstjoseph.blogspot.com/

Happy travels...say hello to Lorraine for me. I've been working with her on "Together in Mission," our new global newsletter.

Joanne, csj
Anonymous said…
Ray and I sort of went to Rome this weekend. Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas is pretty much like the actual modern-day Rome, right? I know that New York New York was pretty convincing, as was the Eiffel Tower.

My only suggestion is to beware of the slot machines. I'm glad I could be of help.
--Susan
backstory said…
Vatican Observatory (Dad)
backstory said…
Vatican Observatory
Unknown said…
I thing the Pantheon and the area around it is cool. (or at least it was 27 years ago). There is a great gelateria near there. If you are standing at the Pantheon looking across the plaza, there is a street on the right side in front of you across the plaza. The gelateria a few meters up that street (unless they moved since I was there). And, of course, Pete's place is nice. As they say, it's not home, but it's much.
Tom
Rachel Romain said…
San Clemente AND its scavi. Oh, and whilst you're at it, get on the Vatican scavi tour too.

O Roma nobile! - jealous!