Arrived in Shreveport
I've arrived in Shreveport LA, it was a long, but good trip. Saturday rained all day - I mean really rained!!! But Sunday it's been sunny and lovely. We went to Mass, then went to walk out by the river and in the downtown area. That's where we saw the lineup of metal roses here. Not sure the significance. Anyway it was a nice walk - we saw a guy out flying a remote control airplane. I saw, but didn't get a picture - a small aircraft flying over and in the distance above it was an airliner. It would have been a cool picture - trust me.Then I came home and tried to get the wireless working here. I'm staying with a CSJ from Albany who is the canon lawyer I'm working with here. Sr. Marilyn Vassallo. Anyway after lots of attempts and Tom's capable assistance it's still not working. I'm on a wired connection - we'll get a local guy to look at it later in the week.
On Saturday, we had a workshop by a guy trying to peddle the new translation of the Mass. No sale! His best argument for the new translation was "because I said so." "There's hardly any change.... But it is so incredibly much better." "And it's approved by the Vatican, so it must be better." (i.e. better that what was already approved by the Vatican 30 some years ago.) No sale! Grumble....
The two sisters here are great. One is Marilyn whom I'm staying with, the other is Pat, also an Albany CSJ, who is setting up Catholic Charities. Both interesting folks. I've met lots of the locals, I got introduced as a visitor from Belgium - and some guy came up to talked to me and after a bit commented on how good my English was.... Why thank you - you should hear my Flemish!!!
I'm getting my plans finalized for my trip to Belgium - I have a ticket over and a place to stay. My defense will be March 4 @ 11:00am. That will be 4 am St. Louis time - so if you're up early, send a prayer my way. I need to do one more read through on my thesis, and Julie is supposed to be reading as well. So hopefully I'll have it complete in the next week or so. I'll email it over and there is a guy there who will make the copies.
Tomorrow I'll have a quiet day. We were planning a trip on MLK day, but decided we both have work, so we'll stay home and I'll try to read a thesis chapter through. Maybe even two. I've been a little tired - shouldn't be, but I have been. So it will be good to have a quiet day. Its probably all the meeting and greeting - wears an introvert out.
All the best!
Amy
Comments
Love you
Dadim
Peace, Kristen Franke