When the Saints go marching....

I just watched the last of the fourth quarter and the overtime - but it was certainly worth watching that much. And then there was all sorts of racket that broke loose in the area - celebrating I supposed. Later I found out that there was a fire nearby with fire trucks and the whole works. Guess I should pay more attention. It was an apartment and they managed to move into another apartment in the complex - but of course they need furniture, clothes, etc.
I've been working at the tribunal, meeting all the folks at the diocese and generally getting acquainted with the area. Last week, I was introduced as having come here from Belgium - so folks keep complementing me on my English.
It's really been a delight to meet some of the folks and hear their story and hear about what they are doing and why. That is the best part of it. Let me tell you: if the great, salt-of-the-earth, people got a chance to run the show, it would be terrific. There are a few things in the way, but it sure is nice to meet the folks that are just working to make the gospel happen in their own lives and around them.
I met with one guy who happens to be a big wheel in the Mardi Gras celebrations. He brought us to 'the dens'. Cool! That is where they assemble the floats for the big parade. It was really cool to climb on the floats and see how they are assembled - they all have a bar and bathrooms and there was a little rig to pass drinks up to the top.
After the dens, we saw the church - it was a pretty little church - there's a picture of me in the church - but it's not on my camera, so I found the one at the left on the internet.
Then I met with the ladies working at the tribunal - really nice folks - and they work really hard to keep cases moving along. The canon law system is more than a little crazy - but then I knew that. But the folks are really pastoral - and they try to help people move through the process and heal from a difficult relationship and understand what it takes to make a better marriage. It's just that law is not the tool to make this happen - but most of the folks I see are trying to make it work for the people.
I also finished my thesis and sent over to Belgium to get printed. Whoopie!!! So about a week here, a week in Wisconsin, a week in St. Louis, then a few weeks in Belgium and I'll be finished. I have a few presentations to prepare. With the thesis complete, I'll start working my way through those projects. March 4th @ 11:00am Belgian time (4:00am - central) I'll be defending my thesis - that will be my last requirement. I'll have a few presentations earlier that week - but they are on topics I've presented before. I just have to pull them together. I also have a webcast the day before I leave for Belgium - probably not a great plan, but that's just how it worked.
So keep me in prayer. I'm doing well, just keeping on keeping on through the various issues. Thankfully the internship is low key so I have time to keep up with these other projects.
Peace,
Amy

Comments