Ireland - off to a good start
I arrived in Ireland on Saturday and met Sr. Mary Louise at the airport. We traveled to the first place we are staying and were greeted by Sr. Liz an her sisters. After a tour of the house, and dropping our luggage, we took a bus into the downtown area. I had been to Dublin about 10 years ago, on a missed connection. So we retraced the things I saw on that trip. We stopped at a pub for light dinner and called it a day. We managed to catch the bus and make our way back home.
On Sunday we were scheduled for a tour of some pre-historic sites near Dublin: Newgrange and the Hill of Tara. Newgrange is one of several passage tombs, that are older than Stone Henge or the Pyramids of Egypt. These massive structures likely had ancestral and ritual significance. It has the beautiful spiral art and lots of triangle and diamond patterns as well. The meaning of these carvings is unknown.
The Hill of Tara is also a pre-historic structure whose meaning is not fully understood. We reached the summit of the structure in the early afternoon of a splendid clear day. We could see for miles in every direction. It is said that you can see much of Ireland from that summit on the rare clear day. It was really amazing and I'm sure no photo could possibly capture it.
Back in Dublin, we saw a few more sites before heading home. Tomorrow, I have a meeting with some sisters here. Then we will head out to see some more sites. So far, the weather has been excellent!!
Amy
On Sunday we were scheduled for a tour of some pre-historic sites near Dublin: Newgrange and the Hill of Tara. Newgrange is one of several passage tombs, that are older than Stone Henge or the Pyramids of Egypt. These massive structures likely had ancestral and ritual significance. It has the beautiful spiral art and lots of triangle and diamond patterns as well. The meaning of these carvings is unknown.
The Hill of Tara is also a pre-historic structure whose meaning is not fully understood. We reached the summit of the structure in the early afternoon of a splendid clear day. We could see for miles in every direction. It is said that you can see much of Ireland from that summit on the rare clear day. It was really amazing and I'm sure no photo could possibly capture it.
Back in Dublin, we saw a few more sites before heading home. Tomorrow, I have a meeting with some sisters here. Then we will head out to see some more sites. So far, the weather has been excellent!!
Amy

Comments