The Passport Story

I arrived in Ireland on Saturday, May 13, met Sr. Mary Louise and we dropped our luggage off and went wandering in downtown Dublin. We stopped in at Trinity College, and at that point we both decided that we had the wrong combination of jacket, sweater, scarf, hat. I don't really recall the details, but we stopped at a bench to switch up what we were each wearing. Then we were off on our way.
We had dinner at a pub - and split a pint of cider - probably our favorite so far. Then we managed to make it to Mass, since we would be going on a tour on Sunday. At that point, I realized I didn't know where my passport was. We trekked back to the pub, but it wasn't there either. I had a bad feeling about Trinity, but didn't have the energy to go back there, so went to our lodging, hoping maybe it was there. Once home, I searched everywhere, and determined that it was gone. Since it was the weekend, I couldn't call anyone, so waited till Monday. We had a great time on our Newgrange tour. We had an archaeology professor as a tour guide - he had all sorts of great information.
On Monday, I called the US embassy to make an appointment for a replacement passport. One of the sisters we were staying with suggested calling Trinity and the Garda - (police). So over the course of the day, I called everyone and they said they would file a report and if the passport turned up anywhere in the country, they would get a notice.
Later that day (too late to call back) I got an email from the Garda that they had a report from Friday of a passport matching my details.
Okay, I just want to say these folks are good. They managed to find my passport a day before I even landed in the country!!! I called to make sure it was really mine, then went in the next day - on the way out of Dublin - to get my passport.
So in the end it was just a few nervous days, but then all was well.

Comments